Friends of Middleton Park
Middleton meaning in Anglo Saxon a settlement between two places
Domesday survey lists that in 'rodewelle [rothwell] and loftose, carletone thorpe and middletone' there is pasturable woodland 2 leagues in length and 1 in breadth
Richard Gramaticus [de Grammary] in posession of the Manor of Middleton
Boundary dispute between William de Grammary and Adam de Beeston. At one point Adam de Beeston's forester is put in the stocks. A boundary ditch is established between Middleton and Beeston and can still be seen today.
William de Grammary releases the manor to Simon Crepping
Gilbert de la Leghe becomes Lord of the Manor of Middleton
John de Leghe died and his lands were listed as:- A capital messuage. 100a land 4a meadow, a wood lately cut, 28 bovates of land and a watermill.
Gilbert de Leghe inheried the estate. He also held several burgages in Leeds including one in Briggate. By 1462 he was bailiff of Leeds responsible for the toll of the markets and other fairs and fines.
Gilbert de Leghe died leaving the manor of Middleton and land in Rothwell, Carleton, Lofthouse, Wakefield, Osset, Bradforth, Manyngham, Allerton by Bradforth, Leyds, Busslingthorpe, Selby, Cawood and Birton by Ferrybrig.
Willliam de Leghe was part of a plot to overthrow the King. He was hung, drawn and quartered at Tyburn. His lands at Middleton were seized by the crown.
Ferdinando Leghe inherits the estate. His mother is thought to have been a handmaid to Queen Elizabeth.
Sir Ferdinando Leigh deputy governor of the Isle of Man
Manor of Middleton including its woods and coal pits mortgaged to Robert Pierrepoint, Earl of Kingston upon Hull for 999 years, the first documented reference to Coal Mining at Middleton.
Middleton is valued at £60 pa together with a 'colemyne' valued at £350 per year.
Anne Leigh married to Ralph Brandling. They inherited the estate in 1706.
Four men 'slain' in the Middleton woods coal pits. This is the first known mining fatality.
Estate under the control of trustees.
Charles Brandling inherits family estates including Middleton.
Construction of a waggonway to a river staith at Thwaite Gate.
Act of Parliament enabling the construction of a waggonway from Middleton to Leeds.
Construction of Middleton Lodge, a park and other estate buildings.
Trustees buy Beeston Park estate for Charles Brandling, this includes Beeston Woods
Charles Brandling and Joseph Wilkes open Beeston New Hold Colliery.
Blenkinsop and Matthew Murray's steam locomotive began to haul coal to Leeds. This was the first commercial use of steam locomotives.
Estate was put in the hands of trustees with mortgage debts of £95,060.
Court decides that the estate should be sold to pay off debts.
Francis William Tetley bought the estate for £100,000.
Felling of trees to create the clearings.
The property passed to the Middleton Estate and Colliery Company, Tetley was a major shareholder
1st July: Middleton woods / Lodge and parklands sold to Wades Charity and then leased to Leeds Corporation as a public park
Grass tennis courts, bowling green, public lavatories and two drinking fountains constructed.
Park refreshment room opens.
Boundary wall on Town Street replaced by dwarf wall with railings and a new gate installed.
Old Bandstand constructed
Middleton Tram service through the park started. Previously, from 1921-1924 the line was used to haul building materials up through the woods to the new Middleton Estate.
9 hole golf course constructed using unemployed labour
Middleton Lodge taken over after the death of Miss Maude, at the end of 1933, and converted for use as the club house for the new golf course
The formal rose garden constructed
Clearings site of a searchlight battery plus two listening posts.
Nationalisation of coal mines.
Middleton Fireclay Company set up to run brickworks.
Middleton Fireclay Company estates sold.
Tram service through park ceased.
Middleton Railway became the first standard gauge railway to be taken over by a preservation society.
Middleton Broom Pit closed
New golf club house opened and later Middleton Lodge demolished circa 1991
Demolition of Top o' the Wood cottages (previously the park cafe)
Building of a new Visitor Centre, Bandstand and other park improvements under a Heritage Lottery Funded Parks for People project.
Middleton Park Golf Course is closed.